Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The transition

Who doesn't get fascinated by the rags to riches stories? Stories of guys who made it big against all odds or those who rose from their humble background to become the Whos Who of their field.

Somehow, I find myself glued to such stories. I love autobiographies. Most of them tread this line. It fascinates me when I read about one Naresh Goyal who started as a cashier travel agent and now owns the biggest private sector airlines. I love the story of Lance Armstrong who battled his cancer, went through the rigours of chemeotherapy and then set the sporting scene ablaze with 7 Tour de France victories. The Dhirubhai Ambanis, the Oberois and the Kushalpals. List is endless.

A certain Christopher Gardener who once struggled in life so badly that he was left to sleep in public toilets along with his infant son but later became owner of one of the the best known stock broking firm. We love to watch a Hrithik Roshan winning mountain peaks in Kargil not because he was brave but because of what he became from what he was showed in the second reel of the movie.

All this blabbering because I just watched an interview of Milkha Singh on CNN IBN. The guy who till now , for me, was a headline who lost bronze in Rome Olympics by a whisker and whom I used to rate behind only Bishan Singh Bedi wen it comes to giving illogical views in media. This interview changed all that.

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. i saw the clip... and immediately thought of my grandfather and the stories he told me of partition...

    its amazing how these events have been designified in history books...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you back?
    or I missed your innings??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a good one anonymous!

    No, You didnt miss my innings :-)
    You just didnt realise that it was a cameo;-)

    gaurav

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh... Then I certainly missed that ...my loss indeed!!

    lol.... so it was a 20-20 performance and you out on duck;-))), when u wud be playing a test match?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why the hell you put in this word verification thing... I know alphabets very well... its A B C D E F G H I J K L M N.....

    its damn irritating man....

    ReplyDelete