Saturday, February 12, 2005

Meet my boss!

He is a gentleman. No No. not a gentleman in actual sense..i just tried to define his gender and thought that using the word gentleman will be better than using Male! (Some might say that even “He” was sufficed to declare his gender!) He is in his early 30s..So age wise he is a decade older than me. Experience wise he is 12 years senior to me. But in this organization, he is one year junior to me! (If you compare our joining dates! And this gives me immense satisfaction!).

Now some of his characteristics. He always seems to be in hurry as if he is the only one who is working for the organization and the company will collapse even if he ‘waste’ his time sneezing twice a day. There is always a great amount of “packet loss” whenever he communicates with us. Most of the times we get attenuated signals from him and almost all the time the attenuated part contains the crux of the matter. So we always get to know everything crap regarding an issue and not the actual matter. Whenever he talks (and most of the time he is doing this only), you can hear 5 “actuallys” in a sentence of 10 words. So this just makes my task all the more difficult to decode his unique language. He is having all the energy in this world or should I reframe it as needless energy. He remains excited most of the times for no reason at all! (Remember, the most natural state in this universe is the lowest energy state!)

He has got special affinity with me as far as assigning work is concerned. But almost every time he manages to come up with a format which is altogether different from what I have prepared. Yesterday we had a fight for the umpteenth time on some trivial issue. Yeah, It was a fight actually as the communication was not “simplex”. It was “full duplex” as I was also bombarding him with my logic and reasons. This is exactly what he hates. THE LOGIC. He is the father of P V Narsimha Rao when it comes to take a decision. He just loves to keep the mails in different folders instead of resolving the issues. I guess that is his hobby. And he doesn’t forget to show me these folders every now and then to console him about the amount of burden he is tackling. I just feel like saying “You are getting an astronomical sum for doing this damn it. It’s a part of your job!”

I know all these “full duplex” fights are not helping my cause and these will have a direct affect on my appraisal also. But I just can’t take his illogical demands. I am not the one who looses his cool easily but somehow he manages to bring out the angry young man out of me.

Am trying hard to cope with him. But it seems is raat ki subah nahi!

Can you help, suggest or share similar pains?

4 comments:

  1. I think boss-bashing is the most exciting discussions of all times ... across generations

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most simple one. Just FWD me your bosses mail ID. I'll fwd him this link. Guess things things will be exciting then, and may be a solution :o).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Maverick, actually understand what u are talking about. Have been through this twice....Some how I always end up with bosses who are hyper about nothing and they get so hyper that they won't even let you do your work. My Boss, is one of a kind....When there is a deadline , she will kind of freak out...and get 2-3 people sit with her while she does some work....imagine...2-3 useful resources wasted ...Then when you are deep into something she will come to you and ask if she can help you ...and then gone..2-3 precious hours wasted over nothing. I have in fact started dealing with it quite diplomatically. I have very frankly told her that its better if all of us work on different issues rather than all sitting on one issue and I guess and hope...she has got the idea :)

    ReplyDelete