Wednesday, November 23, 2005

And he is back...

And the man is back in the team and I am puzzled. It’s beyond my imagination to understand what prompted Kiran More and co. to re-induct him in the team. Ganguly’s forte has always been the shorter version of the game. He never looked ominous or ‘in touch’ in the longer version atleast during any outing in the last 3 years barring a century in first test against Australia down under.


I wonder what has he done in the last one month after being dropped from the one-day squad to force his selection in the test team? Did I hear a century against Zimbabwe XI in Duleep Trophy? I beg to differ. Zimbabwe’s attack is not even at par with any club level attack and one should not read too much in such performances.


Also I wonder what shape the dressing room will take place now with clear differences between Chappell and Ganguly. Was it necessary for the selectors to mess up with things in the dressing room by including Ganguly at the time when the team is performing well under Dravid and is again looking a dangerous and cohesive outfit after a long gap of 2 years?


I am not a Ganguly basher. I praised him whole-heartedly for all the runs he scored for the team all these years and I vehemently supported his aggressive and innovative captaincy in all my discussions with friends. He nurtured a bunch of talented young lads and converted them into world-beaters. But in the process, his willow stopped making runs. His bat was not talking but his mouth was and he paid the price with his exit from the team.


After taking all the bold decisions in the last few days, the selectors blundered at this juncture. I would have been happier if Ganguly would have been included in the team after 2-3 good knocks in the domestic circuit. Still he can prove me and the likes horribly wrong by scoring tons of runs against the lankans and I will be more than happy to see the ‘old’ Ganguly but going by the present form I don’t think he deserves a place in the 15 atleast in the longer version of the game.

All the best to him.
PS: And just read the news thet he is picked as an 'allrounder'. An allrounder with 25 wickets in 84 tests! and with 5 wickets in the last 5 years! Good job done Mr. Kiran More!

No comments:

Post a Comment